Tour this traditional textile weaving studio and take part in a hands-on weaving session.
Since ancient times, the word “Nishiki” has been used in Japan to describe things of exceptional beauty. In silk weaving, Nishiki is considered to be silk of the highest woven quality, highly revered amongst craftsmen. Studio Koho honours this tradition, using techniques they cultivated over four generations. Heizo Tatsumura, the first generation weaver of Studio Koho, conceived many original weaving techniques and held nearly 30 patents.
You will visit their workshop and see Nishiki textile art works, re-created ancient weavings, ancient tall looms and tapestries. You will tour six different rooms including the Woven Accessory Boutique.
You will then participate in a hands-on weaving session, where you will experience making a "plain weave" on a traditional hand loom. You will weave a single coloured plain woven piece (10cm x 10cm) which you can take home with you afterwards.
• Learn about traditional Japanese weaving techniques
• Tour a renowned weaving studio and hear stories from the masters of the art
• Watch the experts at work
• Try weaving your own pattern on a traditional loom
• Please remove shoes for most rooms in tour
• Food and drinks are prohibited inside
• One single restroom available
• Building contains two flights of stairs
• Chair seating is available
• Minimum height requirement of participants: approx. 120cm
|Price||¥3,000 per person
Plain weaving loom weaving experience is 3000 yen per person.
|Duration||90 minutes (approx.)|
|Hours of availability||
Activity is run all day so please indicate preferred time.
• Entry fee
25 shimonogishi-cho shichiku kitaku Kyoto,Japan 603-8107