Get in touch with the essence of Japanese manufacturing in Shimanto's wilderness!
In this activity you can experience traditional Japanese craft culture through "Kaji".
In a contemporary society that emphasizes digital networks, old handicraft techniques have become far from everyday life.
You can experience blacksmith cutlery production as inherited from ancient times in Japan at "Tatara Iron & Steel Forging Workshop Kurogane," surrounded by the Shimanto River area of Kochi Prefecture, with mountains and river wilderness in abundance.
Imagine crafting your own knife or scissors from steel, using fire and ancient Japanese techniques. You can commemorate your wedding, or remember your trip, through engraving.
The workshop is in Kuchiyanai Village, in the middle of the Shimanto River middle basin, and you can relax leisurely in the river after losing yourself in the making of cutlery. If you are lucky, you may also be able to encounter deer, wild boar, monkeys and other wild animals. Please enjoy the unique experience of Japan from the heart of great nature.
① Consultation on knife making（9:00〜9:30）
② Knife Forging（9:30〜12:00）
③ Lunch Time（12:00〜13:00）
④ Make shape with belt sander（13:00〜13:30）
⑤ Put the inscription（13:30〜14:00）
⑥ Heat Treatment（14:00〜14:45）
【How to go】
① By car
· About 3 hours by car from Kochi City and Kochi Ryoma Airport (about 150 km).
· About 30 minutes by car from Shimanto City center (approximately 25 km).
② By Train and Bus
< Rounte 1 >
· Take a Limited Express Train 'Shimanto' from Kochi station or Takamatsu station and get off at Nakamura station. Take a bus from Nakamura Station (bound for Ekawasaki station). Get off at 'Kuchiyanai' stop, then walk about 15 minutes on foot.
< Rounte 2 >
· Take JR Yodo Line (bound for Uwajima) from Kubokawa station and get off at Ekawasaki Station. Take a bus (bound for Nakamura station) and get off at 'Kuchiyanai' stop, from where it is about 15 minutes on foot.
< Local Bus Timetable >
From Nakamura station: 6:41 am / 12:45 pm /16:18 pm
From Ekawasaki station: 7:00 am / 13:05 pm / 16:45 pm
· Kitchen knife creation via ancient forging techniques, the experience of making a small knife.
· Observation of the gradual change of steel material as the process progresses.
· Lecture by knowledgeable and courteous English staff, tailored to you by the highly experienced by Prof. Hayashi.
· Peace and solitude in Shimanto's wilderness
· Please come in clothes that you do not mind getting soiled.
· Since the temperature in the workshop will also rise from June to September in the summer, please bring some drinks.
· Depending on the number of people in the experience and the degree of refinement of the cutlery, we may send it after finishing at the workshop at a later date.
|Price||¥14,000 / person
· 1 person: ¥18,000
|Duration||8 hours (approx)|
|Hours of availability||
Start Time: 9: 00 am
· Training experience
· Lunch and drinks
|Participants||1 to 4 people|
Address: 944 Tennousann, Kuchiyanai, Nishitosa, Shimanto City, Kochi Prefecture, Japan
Once you got there, it is absolutely worth experience. I enjoyed making a knife with other customers. Mr.Hayashi can speak English well and he was really friendly to not only Japanese but also foreigners. If you are looking for unforgettable experiences, this is it.
An Amazing cultural experience in Shimanto!
I participated in a workshop with Master Hayashi making our own knives. The experience was absolutely amazing as we actually got to participate in all steps of the knife making/forging process. The master was so helpful in explaining the techniques we should use for each step and provided perfect guidance along the way. His hospitality throughout the entire experience was amazing and I can recommend this experience enough.
I enjoyed very much. And a company staff supported me my hotel pick up in the morning.