Discover Japan's sake and fermented food culture through an exclusive tour to a former red brick brewery in the heart of Tokyo
Enjoy an exclusive private tour of the former Red Brick Brewery, a national cultural property, and learn about the history of modernizing sake production. Taste specially made new type of sake with explanation from a master brewer and relish a sake pairing dinner with a focus on healthy fermented food.
The Red Brick Brewery in Oji, Tokyo, was built in 1904 as part of the newly established National Research Institute of Brewing, a facility where cutting-edge technologies were used to support the modernization and evolution of sake production. The Institute later relocated out of Tokyo, but the symbolic Red Brick Brewery remained and acquired the status of a national cultural property in 2014. Not usually open to the public, it remains as one of Tokyo's undiscovered gems.
On this exclusive premium tour you will explore the Red Brick Brewery from inside and discover its many secrets. Among them is the Centennial Brewery Project, which aims to age sake for many decades. A qualified master brewer and kikizake expert will introduce you to the newly developed sake using local yeast from nearby Asukayama Park. After that, you will have a sake tasting workshop and learn about the different sake types and the stories behind their production. All of this will take part in the atmospheric former koji making room inside the Red Brick Brewery. Finally, you will go to a classy restaurant where special dinner based on healthy Japanese fermented food will be served paired with a variety of sake. This will be an unusual trip through the historical mecca of Japanese sake research and development in the heart of Tokyo.
1) 15:30 - Meet your guide at JR Oji Station and walk through the scenic Otonashi Shinsui Park, known for its splendid cherry blossoms
6) 17:05 - Enjoy a sake pairing dinner with a focus on fermented food and local ingredients
7) 19:05 - End of tour at JR Oji Station
＜Available dates for the tour in 2024＞
January: 21st, 23rd, 24th, 25th, 30th, 31st
• Enter the former red brick factory of the National Research Institute of Brewing for an exclusive guided tour
• Learn in details about the cutting-edge technologies from the early 20th century for modernizing the production of sake in Japan
• Taste specially made new sake with local yeast from Asukayama Park
• A master brewer and sake experts will offer a sake tasting experience inside the former koji making room
• Enjoy a creative dinner based on healthy fermented food together with sake pairing in a classy restaurant
• The tour is not wheelchair accessible (there are stairs inside the Red Brick Brewery)
• All participants must be over 20 years
• It might not be possible to change the dinner course due to allergies or food restrictions
• This tour is for participants aged 20+ only
|Hours of availability||
15:30 - 19:00
• English speaking guide
• Extra drinks during the dinner
|Participants||2 - 10|
JR Oji Station (North Exit)